As we get into the class, we are going to find that an important part of marketing research is finding and using secondary data to help support your AlthleteTrax project. Finding the data is the first step. The second step is visualizing that data so it tells a story. The third step is to develop a point of view (POV) from the visualizations as it relates to the project or task at hand. Since the AlthleteTrax project involves digital and social media marketing, you are going to be tasked with taking raw data sets and forming charts that help visualize the story they are telling.
Listed below are raw data sets from 2013 on a variety of social media sites. The raw data is available here: http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/30/demographics-of-key-social-networking-platforms/
Your first assignment is as follows:
1. Pick one of the social media sites listed above (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or LinkedIn)
2. Using Excel, develop charts and graphs that showcase the following for the site you choose:
- Usage, Men Vs Women
- Demographic usage
- Age Group Cohort usage
- Usage by Educational Attainment
- Usage by Income and employment
- Breakout of usage (Urban Suburban, Rural)
3. Please place your charts into a PowerPoint, and in summary, please answer the following questions in summary:
- Do you feel the users of this social network meet the target market for AlthleteTrax (College Age, College Club Sports Managers?)
- If so – why? If not – Why not?
- Did any of this data surprise you? In what way?
4. Please save your PowerPoint as a PDF, and upload to slideshare and include the link in the comments section of this blog post. Be creative in your responses!
I look forward to seeing your visualizations and your POV’s on the data.