We had a speaker tonight that gave a variety of career tips for college graduates just starting out. Some of her advice included:
- Look, Listen and Learn
- Be Eminently Coachable
- Build Relationships
- Stay out of your Comfort Zone
- Leverage your Strengths / Build new strengths
- Be Efficient – Touch everything once!
- Produce Results
- Live your Value – Be True to who you are
- You are in charge of your career – only you can make it happen
- Have Fun!
She also gave more tips for students looking to begin a marketing career:
- Intern or work part-time to gain skills and work experience ASAP.
- Start building a portfolio of work to share.
- Volunteer often at school or in the community to add to your portfolio, work experience and network.
- Network:Build a professional network in the marketing community and include friends and family. Learn about their work and opportunities for entry-level positions. Buy someone Breakfast – it’s the least expensive meal of the day!
- Read about the industry, trends and news and have a point of view.
Having someone at her level come and speak to our class is a big opportunity. So now on to assignment #3:
Do a recap of the guest speaker:
1. Which one of her tips do you feel is the most important? Why?
2. Find an article of other companies leveraging data to market their companies more effectively. What are they doing? How are they producing results?
Due before next week.