This week has been a very tough week for retailers focused on teen customers. American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Aeropostale all reported sales that disappointed Wall Street. American Eagle gave a weak Fall Forecast, Abercrombie reported a drop in STS sales of 10% for the quarter, and Aeropostale said STS sales dropped 15% and forecast a loss for the quarter. To read more on this report, click here.
While the 3 A’s sales were a disappointment, sales for retailers Gap (Old Navy), H&M, and Forever 21 performed well. This situation is a very similar situation that marketing professionals face everyday. Some thought starters as we begin this class:
If you were a marketing research professional at American Eagle:
- Would you be concerned about these results?
- Internally, what kind of data would you look at to explore the situation more? What would you be trying to find out?
- What kind of secondary external data would you explore based on these results? What would you be looking for?
- How could marketing research have prevented this large of a sales drop at American Eagle?
- If you would recommend a marketing research project to help turn things around at American Eagle, what types of things would you recommend?
Let’s Discuss before we kick off chapters 1 and 2 tomorrow.